Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Answering questions....




I was asked why 7 excuses to bake…

Well …I started baking when I was very young out of the ambition to make mom proud of me…which was quite of an ambition for a ten year old.

I tried baking for size while doing chemo…because it was a challenge that gave me something to do and made me go on doing something useful… Those were the times when I was baking on a budget and I was able to create a miracle from one egg, a bit of sugar, flower, yeast, oil and two drops of vanilla essence, a miracle called bun cakes which made people around me happy even then. I did not have a mixer, a blender, a thousands of baking trays…muffins were a very distant dream and buttercream something I read about on the internet while sending and email inside an internet café.

This was 12 years ago…a life time ago I might say.

During that time I noticed I was getting better, making people happy with every new recipe I tried, I enjoyed getting applause, looking at children’s faces when they gazed upon an amazing cake and I discovered the web…and the amazing women daring to take baking as a fun challenge, sharing their opinions, complementing each other, doing the best they can do…

The most important reason …well…I saw it in “ Julie&Julia” last Sunday and I couldn’t help but shedding a tear when I finally heard it put into words.

“ No mater how terrible is a day, in the office, at home or anywhere else you spend it…when nothing is sure in the world… you can get inside you kitchen and mix eggs , butter, sugar and chocolate and you can be sure it will get thick and become a wonderful desert. “

No comments: